Saturday, June 9, 2007

June 9, 2007

BLUF: Nothing but good news this past week!

On Thursday, had appt w/radiologist, Dr. Becker. After consultation with the leading expert on lymphoma in the country, he decided to radiate only the affected area in my upper jaw, obviating the possibility of adverse effects on my salivary glands, which might cause dry mouth, change the pH in my mouth resulting in caries and other not-so-good things.

After my encouraging conversation with Dr. Becker, I went back to the technical part of the clinic where I had a full-face, or rather, full-head mask fabricated: heated, perforated plastic, which resembles cheesecloth when stretched, was placed over my face, stretched and attached to the table under my head as it will be during radiation. As the plastic cooled, it became rigid, ensuring that I do not move when the radiation is administered. The technicians then turned on laser locaters and drew landmarks on the mask with one on my sternum (actually just a Sharpie line covered with a very sticky clear adhesive patch) .

Yesterday, Friday, I had an appointment with my oncologist, Dr. Hastings. After reviewing lab results and a physical exam she, though understandably, very cautiously conservative in the past, used the "R" word: it appears that my disease is in REMISSION! Even though it was Friday afternoon, she smiled broadly because she got to deliver such great news which probably does not happen very often in her profession.

While I am looking forward to getting the daily radiation treatments behind me, I have a renewed appreciation for life every day, for God's beauty all around us, for family, for friends and for the power of prayer. If you are one of many around the world who whispered a prayer for me, please shout a joyful THANKSGIVING because He heard and answered! I am grateful, amazed, humbled and still nearly bald! Have an awesome weekend!

3 comments:

Mike said...

Two thumbs up for the "REMISSION" evaluation!!! That's the word we all have been praying to hear. I'm so overwhelmed with joy, I'm speechless...when can you ever remember that happening? (Smile)

Jim O'Brien said...

Phil & Geri,
Hallelujah...Praise the Lord! When Jesus said, "Ask and you shall receive" He meant it, didn't He?
Be assured that Diane and I join you, your family and all your friends in prayers of thanksgiving for the blessing of restored health that God has given you.
With love and best wishes,
Jim & Diane O'Brien

Jim O'Brien said...

Erin,
I've heard people say to someone else, "May God be your co-pilot." While I understand the sentiment, God should be in the left seat--- where the aircraft commander sits. So, may God be your pilot and may you have a MARVELOUS trip. Bon voyage!