Tuesday, March 20, 2007

March 20, 2007

Had bone marrow biopsy done today--not painful but a bit "discomforting," to use the Dr's words--like a dull ache deep inside my lower back which I have never felt before. Results will tell whether there's a low-grade lymphoma in my bone tissue, in addition to the relatively aggressive version taken from my upper jaw on March 6th. Treatment (chemo) should start next week but not until I have had a PET scan (sounds like putting Fido through a baggage scanner) and a MUGA scan of my heart (to insure that it's working ok since the chemicals could have an adverse effect on my heart). One SHOCK--I've lived all these years with only a right kidney: the high contrast CAT scan showed that my left one is "absent." This was new news, even for my Mom! Guess I can't be a kidney donor! Wonders never cease, as does God's awesome peace and joy throughout this journey. Good news: all CATS were clean of any tumors bigger than 1mm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There is nothing God can't deal with: after all HE made you-...with one kidney deaming sufficient.
Our prayers are with you and Geri.

Aloha
the Kitagawa's

Jim O'Brien said...

Phil,
As you may recall, I battled cancer back in 1976. At the time, my prognosis for survival was just 5%. Here I am almost 31 years later doing just fine (Thank you, Lord!). I credit my longevity to three forces: (1) The grace of God, (2) An outstanding medical team, and (3) Positive expectancy. I have every reason to believe that you, too, will weather the storm. Be assured that you and Geri and in our thoughts and prayers.
Warmest regards and best wishes,
Jim & Diane O'Brien