Friday, May 11, 2007

May 11, 2007

BLUF--Feeling good, 95% but have one more chemo session this coming Monday.

Had meeting with Dr. Hastings, oncologist, yesterday. She had good news and not-so good-news. The good news was that my treatment is going well IF all I have is the lymphoma detected in my upper jaw on March 8th. The not-so-good news was that there were abnormal cells in my bone marrow which, if they mutate to cancerous cells, would mean that I'd immediately be considered stage 4 (the worse there is), have no radiation but five more sessions of chemo.

She didn't use the word, but I got the impression they might be considered precancerous cells. Fortunately, they are not currently cancerous; unfortunately, they (a team of doctors, radiologist, hemotologists, etc.) aren't sure whether or not these abnormal cells will become cancerous. The main concern, other than for the severity of the disease (which, in my bone marrow, would be considered myelodysplastic syndrome--inability to produce enough red blood cells, or eventually, leukemia) is that the recommended courses of treatment from this point forward are radically different: if my disease is strictly lymphoma, then one more chemo and radiation is the norm; if it's in my bone marrow, then no radiation but additional chemo is recommended.

This is just another reality of living with cancer, just more unknowns to deal with. I'm supposed to find out on Monday how the team decides to proceed. Candidly, I'd rather just have the radiation and be done with it, but I've committed to going with the best medical advice and will do whatever they recommend.

No matter what happens, as the saying goes, I don't know what the future holds, but I do know who holds the future. I still have God's peace and joy, no matter what comes.

Hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed Mother's Day weekend! I know we will!!

3 comments:

Jim O'Brien said...

Dear Phil & Geri!
As you well know, you're not walking this path alone. First and foremost, God is with you. Also, be assured that your family and friends (including Diane and me) continue to pray for you daily. May God's blessing of good health be yours again soon, Phil.
Love and best wishes,
Jim & Diane O'Brien

Unknown said...

May the Lords blood flow through your bone marrow and give you HIS Blood transfusion including brand new and wonderful cells.
Watch the Dr's be amazed and puzzled.
We love you and keep on praying!
Keep up the good fight!
Kent and Elisabeth

Kehau and Brandon said...

We are praying for you everyday! May the Lord deliver you more good news...just good. You have helped us out so much in our life and I know that you have done the same for many other couples as you have done for me. That must be wonderful knowing that you have done so much for others...that's what I want to be and do for others. Help to make a difference. You are such an inspiratin through all these trials you are going through! God Bless you both! We love you..