Thursday, April 12, 2007

April 12, 2007

BLUF--It appears that chemo side effects are over. Only residual problem is fatigue, as my body tries to recover from the earlier chemical assault. Had my first really good night's sleep last night and actually woke up hungry--something I haven't felt in the past nine days! I've gained back a couple of pounds and my goal is to bulk up before the next round--where did I put that Pizza Hut number?!

Had a radiology consult today. Dr. Becker, Tripler Army Medical Center, is recommending a round of radiation after I'm done with my third round of chemo in late May. This will be 17 or 18 consecutive days of relatively low-dose radiation, starting at about half of what breast cancer patients must endure, gradually decreasing. The good news is that will mean NO fourth round of chemo and its nasty side effects.

I cannot say enough about the entire staff at Tripler AMC: They have consistently been totally professional, compassionate, caring, kind, patient, and available. Their "bedside manner" has been absolutely superb as I believe my treatment has been to date. I simply could not ask for any more and have been truly blessed to have had the opportunity to meet such wonderful medical professionals. May God bless each of them!

Geri and I appreciate your continued prayers. God is good!

2 comments:

Don and Cheri said...

Hi, Phil...Cheri and I have been following your progress...and all the ugly portions aside, it does look like progress. Your trust in the Lord is well placed and we, your friends, sure hope our prayers are added insurance.

I need to lose some weight (OK, more than just "some"), but you are right that your chemo experiences make it clear this should be the method of last resort. Still, medical science continues to make such dramatic and positive strides that we are heartened by the small bits of good news laced into your story.

Our love and prayers to you and Geri. Don and Cheri; two very proud new Grandparents!

Unknown said...

I couldn't sleep between 2-3 AM so I figured praying for you might be a good thing.
Just want you to know, God is at work and will use your experience to encourage and minister to others. Keep up the good fight, which Jesus already has won!
Much love and prayers,
Elisabeth and Kent