Sunday, April 22, 2007

Retrospective

(Bottom line on the bottom.) Trained as an analyst in the Air Force, I've been doing some pro/con analysis of my illness:

CONS:
1. Emotional trauma for Geri and me
2. Unpleasant chemo side effects
3. Root canals
4. Losing hair

PROS:
1. Have solidified my faith and confidence in God--not surprisingly, I've been praying more lately, but perhaps surprisingly, not for myself!
2. Both Geri and I have faced our own mortality and have a peace and joy about our inevitable deaths--whenever it's our time.
3. A renewed zest for life
4. Appreciation of good health and the absence of chemo side effects
5. A deep gratitude for every new day for the gift that it truly is
6. Strengthening of our marital relationship
7. Building bridges with long-neglected family members
8. Discovering true friends, whom I had previously mistaken for mere acquaintances
9. Getting to know some real medical professionals--competent, kind, compassionate, caring, understanding, supportive and available!
10. Developing a new empathy for fellow cancer patients
11. Lost a midlife waistline roll
12. No need for shapoo, combs or hair spray; cost savings offset, however, by needing more sunscreen for increased exposed skin above my neck!
13. Having to shave only every-other-day--maybe soon, not having to shave at all!
14. Hair's supposed to grow back--maybe I'll be a blonde when it does!
15. As a result of 12 and 13, above, greatly reduced personal hygene time
16. More free time to enjoy Geri, family, friends, life, health and every new day!

Bottom line on the bottom: Pros outnumber cons four to one! I can truly say that next to acknowledging Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, convincing Geri to marry me and the births of our children, this has been the BEST thing that has ever happened to me! Only God can turn this evil into so much good! On this Sunday, please join me in a prayer of thanks!

1 comment:

Crystale Cayaban said...

Aloha! I'm a member of New Hope and dance with your daughter at Hearts in Motion. We've been praying for you ever since we heard...soon after my nephew ended up in the NICU. Praise God Almighty for everything that He has blessed us with. Your strength, wisdom, and faith is so awesome! I don't know anyone else who would consider a situation like this one of the top 5 best things to ever happen to them. You are an amazing man. May the Lord continue to bless you and heal you. We believe in miracles.